Friday, December 24, 2010

New Year's Menu Planning...

New Year's Resolutions aren't my thing. As a focus for the new year I have decided to revise my menu's that I have used before. I used to have theme's for each day. You know: Monday-Chicken, Tuesday-Italian, Wednesday-Mexican, Thursday-Pork, etc. That worked for a while. Then I tried three days of cooking and the remaining day's for leftovers. That worked OK. Then we added a pizza night. It works very well for my family. Now our recipes are kind of dull. I am trying to reduce our money budget but offer my family nutritional and palatable meals.

So you might ask, "Why Meal Plan?" Several things come to mind immediately. It is easier. It saves money. No more "Mom, what's for dinner?"

I am going to use some of my favorite things to try and show you how this will work. I encourage you to follow along. Maybe you will find something that will work for you and your family.

-1st Things 1st-

Collect all of your favorite recipes.
This is not a time to include new recipes or recipes only two people in your family will eat only once a year. Go get them out of the junk drawer. You know that infamous place where all the good stuff gets placed until we can get to them later. Do you have index card files that are stuffed full? You may have folders in the file drawers. I have little post-it-flags in my cookbooks. It's just the way I do it.

Separate them by categories.
Appetizers, Soups, Breads, Cakes, Candies, Pies, Moo, Cluck, Fish, Oink, Coooookies, etc. You know what you call them in your home.

Put them in one place.
I am putting them all into electronic form. You can type them, handwrite them, scan them in, etc.

This will all help you when we get to Step2 the planning part of this revision.

For part 2... you will need large blank calendars. I purchase them from the dollar tree. I can write on them with a sharpie marker. I will post pictures, starting next week. You will see how these recipes start to make an easier day of food in your home.

No comments:

Post a Comment